Thursday, October 23, 2008

On the road again!

So my CRAZY brother-in-law talked us into running the Wasatch Back Relay. This is an insane relay race from Logan to Park City. Since neither of us have really run before this is a huge challenge for us. So we started running. I dusted off my skechers sport shoes and off we went!


We figured out a mile loop around our neighborhood and started doing laps. Okay, at first I was struggling to make it around one time. Pretty pathetic, I know!!! But I did it. Then I moved up to two laps. I was feeling pretty good! Because we have been pushing the kids around with us, Aaron decided that it would be good to invest in a treadmill. That way during the icy cold of winter we won't have any excuses to be slackers!



When it came I got new treadmill excitement and had to try it out. My first run I actually upped my run to three miles. I was feeling pretty proud of myself! Then the next day I got on the treadmill and started running. As soon as I was going I knew I couldn't do it, my ankle was killing me. So I blamed the treadmill, bought an ankle brace and started running outside again. It was better but my ankle was still hurting me a lot, but I kept running!!!!

So, to finish off this long story, a doctor friend in our ward told me I needed to get new shoes. He couldn't believe I was running in skechers (honestly I didn't think they were that bad of shoes, plus I thought they were cute!)! So. . . I went and bought special running shoes.



Yes, I got the ones that were on sale, and then I got the lime green ones because they were an additional $10.00 off of that too. So I felt pretty good about myself.

So Aaron and I went running to try them out. MIRACLE!!!!! Holy Cow!!!!! I didn't even wear my ankle brace and I could not believe how good it felt to run. I felt like I could have run forever, okay, maybe three and a half miles, but that is forever for me.

We still have tons of training to do to get ready for this race, but I am back on the road and ready to run!

3 comments:

Jordan and Luci said...

Oh my gosh Gina, you are so on the ball! I need to get in gear...maybe I'll start out with some new shoes to get me in running mode...I'm dreading starting though! Thanks for the inspiration!

Rachael said...

Good luck in your race. Greg and I are BIG fans of Asics - you just cant go wrong. We also love Mizunos. Once you get into running shoes - you wonder how you ever ran in anything else. :)

Tanis, said...

The only thing crazier then Ed is the gaggle of people joining him! ha Just Kidding! We can't wait to see those running shoes in action.